Finding the Unfound (Part 1)


Amidst the ongoing pandemic, lockdown and self-isolation I seem to have found myself that was unfounded in me so far. I have always considered myself to be the worst artist in terms of drawing or at any other artworks that include the usage of hands. Moreover, drawing has never been my cup of tea; never until I started picking up a pen and scribbling on paper to kill the boredom. I started drawing randomly, whatever comes in my mind. I tried drawing leaves, flowers and random fancy English letters that I could think of. They were quite bad but I continued. Once I was done, I took a picture of them and they looked quite good on the screen. This illusion encouraged me to draw more. I went on and drew a few more of them. I again used my mobile camera to capture them to bask myself in the glory. I then started finding basic pictures on Google and attempted copying as much as I can. They were not so bad though.

I have been looking at the news and reading on the internet people urging us to be creative and make the optimum usage of the lockdown in whatever way possible. I found this idea to be very useful and it looks like one can find oneself that is hidden within which might only need a small effort to reveal. Though it has just been one and a half week since I started and hence it is quite "early" to assume that I have found something that is within me but I believe in a persistent endeavour and if one continues practising and never gives up, there is, of course, a light at the end of the tunnel. The qualities we think we never possess can be drawn out via enthusiasm. And I believe that this lockdown is the perfect time to identify the qualities one has. As a great Indian scholar, Śāntideva says: “There is not a single thing which does not become easier with familiarization.”[1] These infallible words are indeed true, and I believe that there is nothing that we cannot learn.

While it is good to try something new that one has never done and seems to be easy-going at the moment, one has to make sure that this does not consume one's precious time one is supposed to be doing. In my case, the university work, i.e. reading articles, writing essays and meeting deadlines. At the same time, it is a good idea to engage in some recreations by exploring and experimenting with something new that one has always wished to do, or one thinks that can be done. 


Below are some of the ones that looked great on my screen 😊 












[1] གོམས་ན་སླ་བར་མི་འགྱུར་བའི། །དངོས་དེ་གང་ཡང་ཡོད་མ་ཡིན།།



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character Creating

Finding the Unfound (Part 2)